Our Farm

Monday, May 3, 2010

Grocery Shopping Dilemma

So today I went to Costco, Fred Meyer, and Trader Joe's.  Costco and Fred Meyer were just a couple things I had to pick up before the boys got home from school.  After the boys got home and had lunch, I was about to pack them into the truck to go to the Everett Trader Joe's (as opposed to the Lynnwood one) because they have the "shopper in training" carts for kids.  Luckily, John walked in the door from running his errand as I was walking out, so he came, too.  Let me just say this:  the boys ARE NOT ready for a long shopping list of groceries in Trader Joe's yet!  If John hadn't have come with me it would have been complete and total chaos!

The real dilemma I had, though, was to buy organic, or not.  I was looking at the ground beef, and they had 3 choices:  "regular," "all natural," or "organic."  The "regular" didn't say anything special on it and was the cheapest.  The "all natural" said it was never given growth hormones or antibiotics and was free range and was a moderate price.  The "organic" was the same as the "all natural" with the addition of being grass fed and the most expensive.  So do I feed my family what I know is the healthiest choice and break our budget?  Or do I forgo the nutritional value and buy the cheapest to stay within budget?  In the end I skipped the beef all together and went with ground turkey that said "natural flavor added."  WHAT?!  What is "natural flavor"?  Why do they need to add it?!  I just want meat, and nothing else!  Even though it was the cheapest option I feel bad feeding this to my family.  I want the best for them and myself, why should I be forced to eat processed crap (because of our lack of an income at this point in time) just because I cannot afford the healthy alternatives?  I say it's the government's problem for subsidizing all of the corn and soy that's cheaper to feed the animals than it is to let them eat plain old grass.  Yes, you heard me, the US government.  I want to lobby for change...but I'm apprehensive about doing so.  The argument, "But you're just one tiny person in a sea of law makers," keeps coming to mind.  Also, how do I go about writing a good letter that will actually get read and thought about?  And, most importantly, who do I send my letter(s) to?  There must be someplace out on the internet that will answer my questions.  I must Google it.  And I mustn't let my fear stop me.  For some reason the thought of writing letter upon letter upon letter fills me with dread.  Maybe I can e-mail my concerns in?  Hopefully so, because I hate using stamps and envelopes...which is why my parents never get any pictures of the boy, but that's another story in and of itself.

Off I go to Google my questions!

4 comments:

  1. The correct choice would be the all natural. (IMO) The middle of the road is usually best for the buck. Organic is best when you can afford it but I read somewhere how to decide when to choose other because of how affected the food type is, ie, fruits and veggies. Different types of skin on them is permeable or not so permeable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Toni! In the future I will keep this in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you'll be one voice in the sea! A lot of people are starting to care deeply about food issues.

    Do you live by a farmer's market or a food co-op? I like to buy what I can there, although they can be more expensive. I consider it voting with my dollars. Those options are outside "the system."

    I've heard that snail mail letters get more attention from policy makers. E-mails get categorized as a tally mark by topic.

    Have you read Michael Pollan's books? If not I highly recommend them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen Food Inc. with Michael Pollan (I think?) and would like to read his book. Since John's lay off we need to watch our money, so I should look at the library to see if they have them. Thanks for the tip on snail mail letters as I was going to e-mail. Have you heard of the Weston A. Price foundation? Their philosophy in eating might coincide with Sienna's dietary needs. After I saw Food Inc. I found the said foundation and would now like the Nourishing Traditions cookbook as I'm already following some of their nutritional recommendations.

    ReplyDelete